Robert,

Just as an aside, I really respect your attention to detail and your
insistence that proof technique follow generalizing statements about
aspects of go.

I think that the counting problems recently were pretty interesting (number
of positions versus number of games).

The engineering problem of winning against humans is of course much simpler
than the math problem of understanding the game deeply (just think about
all of the work Berlekamp did working on this). I like that they move
together hand-in-hand, and right now it seems like the human urge for most
people is to make a set of computers strong enough that they can beat a top
pro, once, then the next goal will be to beat them regularly, as has been
done in chess.

If you think about chess endgames, and how they've been categorized, we're
nowhere near that in Go except for fairly quiescent positions. The opening
is a nightmare, the midgame is a nightmare, and multiple fights with
multiple kos are a nightmare. Solving this mathematically is of course
hugely far in the future. Faking your way forward with engineering (similar
to how people play) seems to be our best guess at the moment.

Thanks for your insight and rigor and I'm glad that you're continuing down
your rigorous path when so many of us have forgotten that extremely minor
rule differences can be: inexplicable (japanese rules, if i understand
correctly), difficult to deal with (chinese rules, under very liberal
understanding) or useless (mathematical descriptions of a game which is
totally different than how people actually play).

Thanks again,

steve