I'm not sure what options are available for tournament setup, but assuming
we can enter skill levels manually...

I think it would be hard to pick perfect ratings, but I bet it wouldn't be
too difficult to generate a guess at ELO/kyu levels based on past
performance. Inputting something like ELO/2 (or similar fractional ELO)
might be a good way to start out without giving too much handicap. Future
tournaments could then be based on how well that works out.
On May 9, 2016 1:18 PM, "Gian-Carlo Pascutto" <g...@sjeng.org> wrote:

On 09-05-16 16:04, "Ingo Althöfer" wrote:
> Another point for discussion:
> Although there were only six participants they split in
> at least 4 classes, seperated by large gaps in strength:
> Zen >> abakus, HiraBot >> LeelaBot >> Imrsel, matilda
> Perhaps it makes really sense to think about a tournament
> with handicaps.

The first obvious question is then: how will you determine the handicaps?

As to the "large gaps in strength": the actual rating of Zen is 1 stone
above abakus, which is 1 stone above HiraBot. That seems to conflict
with your classification. I am not sure it's possible to draw these
conclusions by observing <= 3 games from every matchup.

--
GCP