On 19/08/2012 18:04, Erik van der Werf wrote:
I saw Nick's email, but booting is not the same as banning. An actual
ban is an implicit acknowledgement of a flaw in the kgs scoring
protocol. Just thought it might be interesting to hear some details
(especially if and how it was fixed).

Anyway, all this seems rather strange. Bots only need one resumption.
After that all remaining stones are assumed to be alive by rule, so
there's no need to query the bot again for anything. The game can simply
end without any need for an admin to act. One could make this a bit more
flexible by increasing the max number of resumptions, but the principle
remains the same; there really shouldn't be a need for an admin to get
involved to get a game to end.

I don't have access to exactly what happened. It isn't preserved in the SGF record. And with regard to the recent thread on a possible replacement for SGF, this is the new feature that I would most value: a way of preserving in the game record what claims of status the two players have made.

A (slightly) better way for KGS to have dealt with this problem would have been for the admin to have kicked the misbehaving bot, rather than booting it. A "kick" is instantaneous: a kicked user can reconnect immediately, though in my experience it usually takes bots exactly five minutes, a delay that may be intrinsic to the kgsGtp client. A booted user, however, cannot reconnect until the duration of the boot, as specified by the admin, has expired. The minimum duration, as applied in this case, is one hour.

However, the admin involved in this incident was a plain, or "silver-star", admin. He had the power to boot, but not to kick. Only a "senior" or "gold-star" admin can administer a kick. The reasons for this distinction are lost in the mists of KGS history.

Nick

Erik

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Michael Williams