So, it's probably just me, but it seems as if the 9th Circuit produced a
particularly facile analysis of the balancing of the interests in the en
banc opinion.  Could it be they are daring the Supremes to reverse them?

-----Original Message-----
From: Scarberry, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 12:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CA9 takes case in banc

No, I don't think so, because the mandate has not issued (or effectively was
recalled). In the absence of issuance of the mandate, the panel's opinion
has no effect on the parties, I think. Per Judge Thomas's order of Sept. 16,
the mandate is not to issue except on further order of the court (as I noted
in an earlier post).

Per the court's web site the hearing is set for Monday 1pm Pacific Time. The
en banc panel will consist of Chief Judge Schroeder, and Judges Kozinski,
O'Scannlain, Kleinfeld, Tashima, Silverman, Graber, McKeown, Gould, Tallman
and Rawlinson.

See http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov. Click on "En Banc Court Information."

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law