What the heck is the rush? Bryan asks.  The California Constitution
specifies that recall elections take place within 60-80 days after
certification.  You may not like the constitutional provision, any more
than you like the requirement that Presidential elections be held on the
first Tuesday in November (how many candidates believe that they were
surging at the end and would have won if only they had another week to
campaign!).  We either play by the rules, or the rules become
meaningless.  (And does anyone really believe that there will not be a
significant impact on the outcome of this election if it is postponed to
March when, due to a contested Democrat presidential primary and an
uncontested Republican primary, there will be a much higher turnout
among Democrats?).

As for disparaging the precious right to vote -- I did not such thing.
I disparaged those who somehow think the extra couple of blocks would
block them from exercising what is truly a precious right (not to
mention basic obligation of citizenship).  Yes, I'm a law professor, and
can often take the afternoon to go vote if I want.  But I also run a
constitutional litigation center, and am often traveling, thousands of
miles from my polling place.  That distance has NEVER prevented me from
voting, even before California liberalized its absentee voting
requirements.  So I don't have much sympathy with the claim that moving
the polling place a few blocks will "disenfranchise" voters.

John C. Eastman
Professor of Law, Chapman University School of Law
Director, The Claremont Institute Center for Constitutional
Jurisprudence