I don't mean to dwell on the obvious, but it is likely that many of the
apparent weaknesses of the opinion are due to the fact that it is
unanimous. What we see is the lowest common denominator that 11 judges of
widely differing ideologies could agree on.

 As to the Greg's point regarding the balancing of burdens, I think the en
banc court's more powerful argument is not that of financial expense, but
that of the need for finality and closure in electoral processes. The
search for complete or near-complete equality in ballot technology could
result in lengthy postponements of numerous elections. Such postponements
could undermine the right to vote as much or more so than defective
technology. After all, the purpose of voting is not only to have your vote
"count" but to ensure that the electorate has the opportunity to change
its leaders at specified time periods.  Moreover, the interest in swift
finality is particularly strong in the case of a recall, the whole point
of which is to allow voters the opportunity to rid themselves of an
allegedly harmful incumbent sooner rather than later.