Hello.  I'm a newbie to the listserv and to the teaching profession, so I
doubt I can add much of value to the more experienced and insightful voices
here.  However, to offer my two cents anyway, my sense is that less than
four (if any) of the dissenters would want to lend legitimacy to the
decision by treating it as precedent to be applied or distinguished in the
California recall case.  In short, I think they simply would prefer to put
the case behind them.  So I think the ACLU read the tea leaves rightly (if
that was what they were doing).

Professor Joseph T. Thai
University of Oklahoma College of Law
[EMAIL PROTECTED]