Here is my read:  Whether "we" agreed with the result in Bush v. Gore or
not, almost all of us were surprised the Court took the cases in the first
instance. Most of us, in our hearts even if it was not only justified but
necessary, nevertheless thought that the Court in making the decision to
stop the recount was making much less of a decision as a court deciding a
question of law and much more of a non-judicial political decision.   The
original 9th Circuit panel members are probably not much different than
"we" are in these regards. They thought, ok, the Court said it was acting
as a court deciding a question of law in Bush v. Gore, so let them deal
with it in this context.  I think the en banc panel decided to let the
Court out of the bind between the rock -- Bush v. Gore is law, so equal
protection jurisprudence is implicated punch card problems with 135
candidates in the recall -- and the hard place -- confessing that Bush v.
Gore was a political, non-judicial decision.

 Should anyone try to take the en banc decision to the Court, does anyone
think it would hear the case?

Michael J. Zimmer
Seton Hall Law School