>> > marc> I read the post about Mdk 9.2 and LG on mandrakeusers.org. I
>> have cd-rw drive, marc> model HL-DT-ST GCE 8400b and I have Mdk
>> 9.2rc2 running. There are no problems marc> with my LG drive
>> >
>> > 21mdk just updated (vdanen should be doing the official update)
>> fixes that problem.  Only LG plain CD-ROMS are affected.
>> >
>> > Later, Juan.
>> >
>> > PD. Yep, whoeved decided at LG that reusing for UPLOAD_FIRMAWARE
>> command FLUSH_CACHE comand should be shoot.  Twice.
>>
>> SO it turns out to be a firmware bug after all that.  I really hope
>> you guys don't take the heat for this in the court of public opinion.
>
> Yes, it is a firmware bug, and yes, the LG drives are responsible for
> this.  But, it is Mandrakes own fault that this happens.

I don't agree.

> If you take
> beta / heavy  modified kernels instead of kernels that have been tested
> by the entire linux  community, you can expect things like these to
> happen.

AFAIK (I may be wrong), SuSE has been shipping with this patch for quite a
while (AFAIK it is their patch), and there have been some reports of SuSE
doing the same thing to LG drives ...

And, if no-one found this problem before, in a well-known patch which is
supposed to be merged into 2.6.x, how was it going to be found?

> True, strange that  this bug was able to tunnel trough all RCs,
> but this once again proves that  it's better to use the entire linux
> community as testers instead of a few  beta testers, i.e. use only stock
> kernels.

OK, so you want us to ship with a totally vanilla kernel? No XFS? OSS only
(no ALSA)? No software suspend? No ACLs? No cloop? No CIFS?

BTW, there is a vanilla kernel in contrib. How many people actually run it?

> Mandrake is not a linux distribution known for stability, let's please
> take  stability as top priority for Mandrake 10.0.

My servers tell me otherwise (some machines with clients I haven't seen in
over a year because they haven't ever had problems with them). They
wouldn't be running Mandrake without ACLs/XFS (which is one reason they
don't run Redhat BTW, it's too much work to get a real samba server
running on Redhat and a few other distros which have kernels without the
features I need).

> This way Mandrake
> will get the  good name that belongs to such a cool distribution.

A distro with no features, that's cool. Not!

Regards,
Buchan