Hi

jos> Yes, it is a firmware bug, and yes, the LG drives are responsible for this.
jos> But, it is Mandrakes own fault that this happens.

Yes.  And we are also the cause of all the evil things in the world.

jos> If you take beta / heavy modified kernels instead of kernels that
jos> have been tested by the entire linux community, you can expect
jos> things like these to happen.

yes?  And guess what.  When one new feature is talked about being
integrated into upstream kernel, one of the best ways of backing it is
that it has been included during quite time in distributions, and that
it don't show problems there.

jos> True, strange that this bug was able to tunnel trough all RCs,
jos> but this once again proves that it's better to use the entire
jos> linux community as testers instead of a few beta testers,
jos> i.e. use only stock kernels.

That is good if the functionality of stock kernel is ok for you.
Examples:

- you only use sound for playing some MP3 OSS is ok for you.  If you
  want to do anything interesting with sound, you need ALSA.

- you have a server that is 100km away, you want lm_sensors to read
  the temperatures remotely and detect when fans die.

- you are a company, and you need IPSEC, information as clear text is
  not good enough for you.

- You uses a firewall and thinks that being able to handle IRC
  protocols is a need (until not so far away iptables on kernel
  upstream was not able to tunnel IRC).

- You have new hardware that without ACPI don't works correctly (there
  are hardware like that, specially laptops, and each time more).
  Real ACPI has only been integrated in kernel in 2.4.22.

- You have a nice broadcom network card.  bcm5700 and bcm4400 are a
  lot of times the only drivers supporting your card.

- You think that waiting a lot each time that you start high-IO
  operations is not an option (Andrea VM patches & low latency ones).

- You think that having a CD-RW being able to do more things that only
  copy CD's is a good idea (packet writing).

- and so on, and so on, ...

Notice that mayority of the people don't need all the patches in
Mandrake, they only need 2-3 or 4.  The problem is to have a kernel
that fits lots of people.

jos> Mandrake is not a linux distribution known for stability.

This is a bad statement.  If you explain me _why_ you told that, I can
try to fix it.  but with only that sentence, I can't, sorry :(

jos>  let's please take
jos> stability as top priority for Mandrake 10.0. This way Mandrake will get the
jos> good name that belongs to such a cool distribution.

Godd goal, I agree with it.  And I do my best to do it.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy