FYI, IIUC, Morten Kjeldgaard has become a MOTU and is working on crystallographic libs for Ubuntu, e.g.:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/clipper
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mmdb

When he gets round to Coot I'm keen to help make his life easier.

Regards,

Paul.

Mark Brooks wrote:
Hi,

It may be useful to have a 'contrib' section for the Coot binary download web page (or even some unofficial web page), so that we have more options of binaries to test. For example, upon upgrading to Ubuntu Hardy Heron, Coot stopped working, for reasons beyond my understanding, but worked when recompiled. (Which was very easy using the build-it-gtk2-simple script BTW). To have a central repository of tested binaries could be very handy, to avoid having to do this.

The Coot developers and yourself (Bill) have done an enormous amount to furnish us with working, tested programs, but perhaps one or two more updated binaries contributed by users would be useful, especially for newer releases of the myriad Linux flavours.

I think for the Coot developers to start providing .deb, .rpm and Gentoo packages for every update is too onerous, especially when .tar.gz files work OK. Just my opinion.

Which Ubuntu are you on Bill, and which binary are you using? Are these on your debian web site? I guess I may be able to give a Hardy Heron binary if need be.

Thanks for your .debs though, I use them all the time.

Mark