On Oct 9, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:

* There won't need to be a list, apart from perhaps 02packages. also,
 cpan:///package/Software::License::Perl_5 works; it makes it easy to
re-use your own license in a machine-readable way by publishing it as a package, and is namespaced and indexed; if it can't be found, treat as
 Other rjbs 15:21, 28 August 2009 (BST)

[snip]

URL reference to a site is not that good as you can not be sure that
in long term that URL describes license you want. I'm not talking
about special cpan:// URLs, but about regular http://...

Real life example is GPL. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html is the
only way to reference the current GPL license at this moment, but when
GPL4 come out that page will be describing GPL4 and you would be able
to find GPL3 on
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/old-licenses.html#GPL.

I'm pretty sure in this as it happened once with GPL2.

So you can not describe GPL3 only with an URL to GNU's site.

Well for sites like search.cpan.org having a link is very useful.

We can only encourage people to use links to pages they know will not change.

for a lot of the common licenses we can have a list of standard identifiers
which will have links to http://www.opensource.org/licenses

Graham.