On Sun, 31 Dec 2017, Elaine Ashton wrote:

Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 12:12:06 +0100
From: Elaine Ashton <eash...@mac.com>
To: Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl>
Cc: Elaine -HFB- Ashton <eash...@mac.com>, Robert <rob...@perl.org>,
    Ask Bjørn Hansen <a...@perl.org>, cpan-workers <cpan-workers@perl.org>
Subject: Re: sponsor logo on home of CPAN mirror

 Ok ; here is the same thing with a /local/site.json file,
 instead of a /local/site.js file :

   http://cpan.cs.uu.nl/ondex2.html

Hi Elaine,

The entire point of a mirror is that it is an exact duplicate of all others
and the master.

Whilst I understand that there is a desire to acknowledge the generosity and
resources borne by the host of each mirror, aside from the potential sec
issues and it opening a door for other requests, it bothers me to think that
the anonymity of the network over the decades now needs to be acknowledged
by individual operators which, to my mind, opens the door for advertising,
too.

  I agree ; I just don't like the current rules, which suggest users
  tamper with "/index.html". I want clean rules and a clean method
  when dealing with (prospective) mirrors.

  I can find only one site that adds a logo ; and it gets it wrong :

    http://mirror.easyname.at/cpan/

  ... and then there is crap like :

    http://mirror.datacenter.by/pub/CPAN/
    http://mirrors.sohu.com/CPAN/
    http://mirror.netcologne.de/cpan/
    http://cpan.mirror.euserv.net/
    http://mirror.de.leaseweb.net/CPAN/
    http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/CPAN/
    http://mirror.faraso.org/CPAN/
    http://ftp.nluug.nl/languages/perl/CPAN/
    http://cpan.mirror.anlx.net/ [yellowbot ??]

I can’t imagine most mirrors are such a great burden on network resources as
to be needing some kind of remuneration in the form of a logo or
advertising.

  Well, the number of mirror sites has been dropping steadily,

    http://mirrors.cpan.org/stats/hist/

  compensated by 36 metacpan mirrors (CDN). Universities are
  giving up ; managers are cutting costs for non-essential stuff.
  Perhaps a logo here and there is enough to keep mirrors online.

            -=]) elaine ashton // eash...@mac.com // HFB ([=-

  Regards,

  HPP

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penn...@uu.nl     \_/