> On Dec 31, 2017, at 2:37 PM, Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl> wrote:
>
>  I agree ; I just don't like the current rules, which suggest users
>  tamper with "/index.html". I want clean rules and a clean method
>  when dealing with (prospective) mirrors.
>
>  I can find only one site that adds a logo ; and it gets it wrong :
>
>    http://mirror.easyname.at/cpan/
>
>  ... and then there is crap like :
>
>    http://mirror.datacenter.by/pub/CPAN/
>    http://mirrors.sohu.com/CPAN/
>    http://mirror.netcologne.de/cpan/
>    http://cpan.mirror.euserv.net/
>    http://mirror.de.leaseweb.net/CPAN/
>    http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/CPAN/
>    http://mirror.faraso.org/CPAN/
>    http://ftp.nluug.nl/languages/perl/CPAN/
>    http://cpan.mirror.anlx.net/ [yellowbot ??]
>    …

Hi Henk, and HNY to you all. :)

I agree about the index.html and, though there are some who fumble their way
through adding their ‘identity’ to their mirrors, there have always been those
so improving guidance may or may not make much of an impact in preventing
similar fumbling in the future…though I won’t discourage trying to improve the
situation, however futile it might be.

>  Well, the number of mirror sites has been dropping steadily,
>
>    http://mirrors.cpan.org/stats/hist/
>
>  compensated by 36 metacpan mirrors (CDN). Universities are
>  giving up ; managers are cutting costs for non-essential stuff.
>  Perhaps a logo here and there is enough to keep mirrors online.

I’m starting to feel like an old lady as, though I railed at the first
advertisers on the web over 30 years ago, knowing even then that they would
eventually pervade every website, I’d like to think that some sites should
remain above what may be viewed as the inevitable, but which I continue to hope
can remain ad-free without going down what Robert referred to as ‘a slippery
slope.’

The number of mirrors is less of a concern than the quality and duration of
service thereof. Perhaps a short google forms-ish survey could be circulated to
the mirrors to determine what is causing them to rethink their mirroring
service to CPAN? What about a Perl.org <http://perl.org/> page featuring the
logos of all the mirrors who wish to be represented? Just an idea or two as,
though I know I’m a fossil at this point, I hope that the mirrors can remain as
indistinguishable from the master and without advertising as long as possible.

e.

--
            -=]) elaine ashton // eash...@mac.com // HFB ([=-
          -=]) That's the difference between governments and ([=-