> On Jan 1, 2018, at 5:20 PM, Henk P. Penning <penn...@uu.nl> wrote:
>
>  I don't understand the "slippery slope".
>   Where is the "slope", and why is it "slippery" ?
>  -- the "how to add a sponsor logo/link" has been around for years
>  -- CPAN's home-page already uses javascript
>  How is adding 1 javascript function and 1 empty <span> a problem?
>  How is it worse than suggesting to users to tinker with /index.html?

I think the ‘slope’, from a syseng perspective is trying to solve a problem we
don’t quite understand which may have far reaching consequences we may not
want. I think the saying in programming is akin to ‘patch one bug and create
two new ones.’ ;)

We have always acknowledged the master mirrors, including funet.fi
<http://funet.fi/>, which was a state/edu network who never requested such
recognition. Even when I ran search.cpan out of WashU and Webster U, neither
University requested recognition, nor complained about the resource load, which
was rather substantial, especially since the hardware was donated and we all
volunteered our time to maintain it. Hardware, storage and network resources
have become less expensive in the 20 years since that time.

I suppose my point is that, if your concern is that the number of mirrors is
declining, the problem may be not as simple as offering sites an opportunity to
add a logo, which may later lead to a demand for advertising, which is where
the ‘slippery slope’ comes in (at least for me). Understanding the reasons why
mirrors are leaving and/or doing so in shorter periods of time may lead to a
better understanding and solution than the current suggestion.

Not that anyone gives a fuck about what I think these days, but I’m still good
at what I do and I try to offer what I can when I think there might be a better
way of doing something, however well intended it might be. :)

e.

--
            -=]) elaine ashton // eash...@mac.com // HFB ([=-
          -=]) That's the difference between governments and ([=-