Apologies for going silent since I sent my initial email, I've been trying
to learn a new keyboard and it's not been great for productivity.

ribs- Thank you for considering it and starting some research.

Deleting them from the main CPAN and letting them remain on backpan seems
like a very reasonable direction.  The needs of CPAN and backpan are very
different.  Backpan is significantly larger, but gets significantly less
traffic and has lower performance requirements.  For example, there's no
requirement to support fast mirroring.

As Ask pointed out, the data shows that these files get very little
traffic.  Elsewhere in the thread it was noted that the same content can be
retrieved from Git.  Not many people will be inconvenienced.

Todd said:

> I’m unclear who decides if it’s OK for me to delete the dev versions of
> Perl I’ve done. I’m happy to do it. Maybe we should put a policy or
> suggestion into the release manager’s guide as a first step?

I think that's what we're trying to figure out.  Unless someone (rjbs?)
comes up with a reason why not to, it would be cool  to have a policy that
dev releases get deleted TBD months after the next release, or something
similar.

Thanks-

-R