-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 991121a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

* Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
* Nothing contained here is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy, or meaning.
* Please DO NOT include the entire bulletin when you reply; Cut/Paste, eh?
* No sheep was disrobed during production of this bulletin. No pervs here.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

@ SPOT'S UNDERWEAR PROBLEM: http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=549447965
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# CHINA LAUNCHES SPACECRAFT. China has taken a major step toward joining the
  U.S. & Russia in space, successfully testing an unmanned spacecraft that
  may soon carry the country's first astronauts into orbit. The "Shenzhou"
  ["Vessel of the Gods"] spacecraft separated from its launch vehicle and
  went into orbit about 10 minutes after liftoff, circling the Earth for 21
  hours before controllers crashed it on innocent yaks in Inner Mongolia.
  Beijing's 7-year effort: http://cnn.com/TECH/space/9911/21/china.space.01
  Also: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_530000/530398.stm

@ LINKS - China Great Wall Industry Corporation: http://space.cgwic.com/
@ China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology: http://www.calt.com.cn/
@ Go Taikonauts: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/1921/

: Do you think China will use space any better than the US or Russia? When
will China start shipping its population into space? Will they use excess
peasants as cheap bombs, dropping them on Western targets from orbit? When?

# FLY ME TO THE STARS - Lightweight Propulsion Devices May Boost Satellites
  & Send Probes Beyond the Sun's Realm.  Miniature rocket engine, about half
  the size of a postage stamp, was made using the same techniques employed
  to build computer chips: http://sciam.com/1999/1299issue/1299techbus1.html

@ Space Agencies: http://www.reston.com/astro/space.agencies.html
@ Satellites & Remote Sensing: http://scicentral.com/S-satrem.html
@ AeroSpace Links: http://www.scicentral.com/E-aerosp.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# New Crop Circle In Ontario. (CPRC) Yet another crop circle formation, the
  20th reported this year in Canada, has been found near Lowville, Ontario.
  First discovered October 22, the formation consists of a "teardrop" shape
  and other "diamond" shapes, in 8' tall corn. Researchers who went into the
  formation on the ground, experienced various equipment anomalies, such as
  camera failure inside the formation, EMF emissions & odd compass movements
  (3 compasses moved the same amount at the same time) as well as an unusual
  "humming" sound which seemed to emanate from nowhere in particular, just
  "all around". Also a white cobweb-like material found under some of the
  flattened stalks - RCMP to test samples: http://caus.org/ccr112099.htm

: Do you prefer to cut crop circles in corn, wheat, rye, barley, oats, rice,
amaranth, sawgrass, spinach? Do you cut crop circles in gene.mod crops? D'ya
leave anomalous emmitive debris in y'r work to confuse researchers? Why not?

@ Circles Phenomenon Research Canada: www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/3310
@ XOSCIENCE: Space and UFO News from Canada: http://www.exosci.com/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Scientists shelve naked sheep plan. New Zealand Govt scientists said they
  had shelved development of plans to produce genetically engineered sheep
  without wool. http://www.afr.com.au/content/991115/update/update44.html

# Man busted for getting intimate with cow - his goat left him:
  http://www.rivertowns.net/daily/hso/c991112/#s991112a

: Do you prefer naked sheep, naked goats, naked cows, naked aliens? Do ETs
prefer you dressed or naked? Would you like to be woolly? Should your genes
be spliced with a sheep's so you don't have to purchase clothes anymore??

# Bull Mutilation St.Paul, Alberta: http://earthfiles.com/earth094.htm
# Kunjin West Nile Fever Update http://www.earthfiles.com/earth092.htm
# Update on Deformed Calf Fetus http://www.earthfiles.com/earth091.htm
# Calf Fetus Shocks Los Brazos, NM: http://earthfiles.com/earth090.htm
# Cat Mutilations Continue in Toronto: www.earthfiles.com/earth088.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# MONKS SERVE 'WICKED' MARGARITAS TO SAVE OLD CHURCH. Besides feeding the
  homeless, running a shelter & blessing animals, Franciscan friars at St.
  Boniface Church in San Francisco make some wicked hard drinks. Raising
  money to repair their historic church in a notoriously tough city neigh-
  borhood, the monks hold monthly "margarita nights" at the monastery, their
  brown robes flowing as they serve booze to well-heeled benefactors. Church
  has served poor since 1887: http://cnn.com/US/9911/20/monk.margaritas/

# Twin Cities churches say: "Find out if Jesse is right." In newspaper ads,
  pastors finally react to Gov. Jesse Ventura's Playboy crack about religion
  being "a crutch for weak-minded people." 68 churches pooled $13500 for ads
  that offer "Strength training for the weak-minded." Next to the addresses,
  it's noted: "There's a work-out location near you." Bring some bar-bells:
www.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisSlug=AD20&date=20-Nov-1999

: Does your belief system use advanced marketing schemes to gain converts?
Do you administer alcohol, psychedelics, endolphins, pheromones, herbals?
Do you rely on old-fashioned mindcontrol techniques? Do aliens assist you?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Y2K-a-Rama:

# 'Y2K: THE MOVIE' - NEW YEAR MEETS MURPHY'S LAW. The premise behind NBC's
  Sunday-night special, "Y2K: The Movie," is simple: If everything can go
  wrong, it will. Murphy's Law is the star of this show, a fictional account
  of coming Y2K havoc that includes food and cash shortages, power outages,
  a plane falling out of the sky, even a prison riot. Never mind all those
  pronouncements from govt and the private sector that widespread mishaps
  are unlikely. The movie devises as many as it can. "Paranoia is our most
  important product" - see http://cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9911/18/nbc.y2k.ap/

# Y2K - Few Heeding Official Warning:
  http://www.sightings.com/ufo5/y2kwrnof.htm
# Y2K- Thirteen Small US Utilities May Not Be Ready:
  http://www.sightings.com/ufo5/y2krdy.htm
# Y2K- Banks Brace For Run On Cash...Extra $50 Billion On Standby:
  http://www.sightings.com/politics5/cash.htm
# Y2K - Canada's Energy Industry Confident Of Readiness:
  http://www.sightings.com/politics5/rdnies.htm
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 "I dreamed I saw St. Dracula, swimming to the shore
  I dreamed I saw St. Dracula, and then I dreamed no more
  Radiant with a holy glow / Spinning like a dolphin, so
  I dreamed I saw St. Dracula, boiling in the sun"
  -- http://www.sonic.net/~ric/music/saints.htm#drac

* Rev. Ric Carter, ULC * http://skepticon.da.ru * FAX: 603-415-3736
* Fringe * Science * Faith * Sex/Drugs * UFO/PSI/Y2K * Conspiracy *
* email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* (sorry, I can't answer all email - but thanks for your feedback)
* SkeptiChat/News archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm
* THE OFFICIAL MAILING LIST OF THE *SEVENTY*SEVENTH* MILLENNIUM!!