From:   David Chappell - UK, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

EJ Totty  - Uses the example of the F4 Phantom as a fighter armed with
guns - Not a good example at all I'm afraid, as it was not until well
into the Vietnam conflict that F4's were retrofitted with 20mm Vulcan
cannon in pods. It was not designed to carry a gun at all.

It was a classic example of 50's and then 60's (the F4 first flew in 53 or
54, can't remember which) thinking that said, 'dog fighting won't happen
again like it has, aerial warfare will never be the same again, you only
need missiles now......!

Not unlike HM armed forces, deciding that anti-aircraft guns were not
effective and relying soley on surfaced to air missiles.  Just ask the
Harrier pilots who took part in the Falklands just how effective 50 and
60 year old scandanavian or swiss guns were? - So effective that we now
seem to have some, some of which might even still have instructions in
Spanish...;-)

BTW, has anyone dared tell EJ Totty what his surname means in the UK......(VBG)

(Sorry EJ... ;-)

David.

  -------[Cybershooters contacts]--------

  Editor: [EMAIL PROTECTED]