From:   "Peter Webb", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I notice that this thread is refusing to die quietly.
Being a curious little soul, I passed this subject on to a friend of mine
who just happens to be current and instructor qualified in fast
jet-fighters. Here is the body of his reply to my query:
.......In MHO I would never want to strap on a jet that did not have at
least
the ability to reach out and touch at 30 nm - or 1000 feet.

20 mm rotary cannon is excellent for situations where missiles are not a
viable option.

In ALL cases where high performance fighters manage to close and the
speeds drop to well below flying capability, the rolling scissors
develops. This is a spot where NO pilot wants to be, because you no
longer have the ability to disengage. He who leaves first dies. But it
does happen.

The only shot available is the snap shot, as a tracking shot just does
not happen - unless your opponent screws up.

Do not believe for a minute that the fighters will never close - there
are many rules of engagement that call for visual identification prior
to squeezing the trigger or pressing the button. They can be quite
complex, and there are many methods of verifying the authority to open
up on the opposing aircraft - but the VID is still very common - even in
places of open hostility today.

He further noted that he had never met a fighter pilot who did not want the
guns option available .  For those not familiar with the it , "Rolling
Scissors "  is the term he used to describe the manoeuvring that takes place
when two planes are flying parallel, each trying to get behind the other.
Break away and your opponent can pull in behind you. (I needed some
explanation myself)
    This gentleman will shortly be training some of the next generation of
NATO fighter pilots and may just have the experience and expertise to have
his opinion respected.

Regards................ Peter Webb
                                Australia

  -------[Cybershooters contacts]--------