Date::ICal never used ICal format internally anyway, I should point out.

> > Julian dates, for example, require that you store the time as a
> > separate field, because the julian date expresses only the date.
>
> It is *very* common to include a fractional part to represent the
> time of day.  And by allowing an arbitrary number of decimals in
> the fractional part (and an arbitrary number of digits in the
> integer part) one can represent *any* point in time with *any*
> precision.  And Julian days are very convenient for time
> arithmetic.  And they are calendar independent -- a good "gratest
> common divisor".
>
> Compared to Julian days, the iCalendar format is clumsy, awkward,
> and limited.

See above.

Anyway, the current internals have Rata Die days (basically JD or MJD but
with a different 0 day) and seconds into the day.  Making seconds
fractional is obviously not a big problem.  At least one person object to
fractional seconds (and preferred storing something like attoseconds
separately) but I can't remember why.  And it sure makes the
implementation hairier.

> > While I've read this various places, I've never encountered a
> > real application where microsecond precision was necessary in a
> > calendaring context.
>
> Is the DateTime-modules only for calendaring purposes?  I thought
> this was a base on which people could build modules for doing all
> sorts of time calculations.  Hm.  Perhaps I misunderstood.

I'd like it to work for lots of stuff, but if _all_ you need is
attoseconds, then it's not going to be a very good fit.  Do physicists
need to record dates and times with attosecond precision, or do they need
to record a date and time, and seperately record experiment data which
includes attoseconds?  See the difference?

Making it work for calendaring purposes is definitely the first goal.  If
it can also be used for other things that is good.  But what other things
are you thinking of?

-dave

House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com