[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Rolsky) wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Peter J. Acklam wrote:
>
>> Is the DateTime-modules only for calendaring purposes?  I thought
>> this was a base on which people could build modules for doing all
>> sorts of time calculations.  Hm.  Perhaps I misunderstood.
>
> I'd like it to work for lots of stuff, but if _all_ you need is
> attoseconds, then it's not going to be a very good fit.  Do
> physicists need to record dates and times with attosecond
> precision, or do they need to record a date and time, and
> seperately record experiment data which includes attoseconds?
> See the difference?

Yes, I see the difference between relative and absolute time.  I
doubt they record absolute time with attosecond precision, but I
don't know.  However, for the DateTime module(s) be able to work
with high resolution relative time, milliseconds or whatever, it
must be able represent these time periods one way or another,
right?  I just want to be sure that this is taken care of.

> Making it work for calendaring purposes is definitely the first
> goal.  If it can also be used for other things that is good.
> But what other things are you thinking of?

My worry, perhaps unjustified, but still my worry (:-)), is that
this project is going to create a problem similar to the Y2K
problem:  People did not think far enough ahead and did not
represent time with sufficient range -- and in this case
granularity, too.

I don't have any examples except 1) astronomers work with dates
before year 1, and 2) countless people have complained about the 1
second resolution in UNIX time representation being much too
coarse.

Peter

--
#!/local/bin/perl5 -wp -*- mode: cperl; coding: iso-8859-1; -*-
# matlab comment stripper (strips comments from Matlab m-files)