On 06-Dec-2005 Andy Hassall wrote:
>> I cannot find these postings on the mail-archive.com or
>> nntp.perl.org archives
>> so where did they come from? Is this some sort of mailing
>> list to news gateway
>> issue I've missed?
>
> It looks like the common factor in both cases is that the postings were
> posted through Google Groups itself onto their view of the perl.dbi.users
> newsgroup.

Yes, thats how I saw it.

> It seems that postings made in this way don't get back to nntp.perl.org
> (where they exist as newsgroups - they're not part of the Usenet hierarchy
> proper), and so also don't make it to the corresponding mailing lists.
>
> If this is the case, then it seems that Google Groups should either make
> their version of the group read-only (this would seem to be the most
> sensible option since it's really a mailing list you should subscribe to),
> or fix the apparent propagation problem from postings made on their
> interface back to the source (nntp.perl.org).

I find it rather disturbing I can be posting to the dbi-user list and someone
can answer on google groups and I don't see it. If google intend it to work
this way I'm amazed and rather worried as I didn't see anything on google
groups that made this clear.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans