On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 08:40:29AM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
On Thursday, 6 February 2020 6:59:38 AM AEDT Nikolaus Rath wrote:
I would venture that for every user who is grateful that
/var/log/mail.log collects all the various mail-related logs, there is
another user that curses about non being able to separate (out of the
box) the logs from all the programs that consider themselves
mail-related, and another user who struggles to remember in which
logfile $DIFFICULT_TO_CLASSIFY_PROGRAM might be writing its logs.

There are log readers like "lnav" and "multitail" that will become useless
without traditional log files. "lnav" tails multiple logs by default and IMHO
provides a very useful interface.

Exclusively relying on systemd logging facilities limits ways in which we can
analyse logs.

Nobody said "exclusively" except you! Either option has benefits and disadvantages, but for some reason you're arguing as though 1) only your particular use cases matter and 2) continuing to use rsyslog isn't an option if the default changes.