On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 09:19:35AM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Well, maybe not a strong view, but a sense of vague unease--possibly an
> ill-informed one.  As someone who has used SIMH for "real" work[1], I
> have to ask how someone would conduct an install to a 32-bit x86 machine
> running under emulation, assuming no OS on the simulated machine.

I occasionally use 32-bit x86 even today (mostly for not very good
historical reasons, but nevertheless), and I do it by using a 32-bit
container on a 64-bit x86 machine instead.  It's much faster to run, and
it doesn't depend on installer support.  There are doubtless edge cases
where you need a completely separate kernel, but they aren't really ones
I run into.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwat...@debian.org]