On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:36:44AM +0100, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> > FYI - A computer shop has taken the Debian logo and used it for his
> > business.

> > http://imgur.com/gFKfs.jpg

> Thank you for making this jpeg, it's very clear.

> > [...]
> > "The comapny Logo was created by photoshop and Logo software, we desgined it
> > from the stretch. if you have somethins to say, give us a call."
>
> Unfortunately, they may be right and in good faith.
> This message confirms the swirl is just one of the defaults:
>       http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/06/msg00340.html

This is an unsubstantiated claim that has been repeated ad absurdum on the
lists for years.  Sure, it uses a default brush.  But who has demonstrated
that the exact swirl pattern can be reproduced trivially by accident?  No
one.  When companies show up with a logo that reproduces your exact
*application* of the brush, angle for angle down to the pixel, it stretches
credulity to claim that this occurred to them independently.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org