Le Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:31:24AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen a écrit :

> So even if one accepted the terms of Google Translator, which I do
> not, and used it directly instead of <URL: http://freetranslation.mobi/ >,
> this part would then not be a licensing problem.  But it seem
> irrelevant for this discussion, as I was using

Dear Petter,

are you sure if http://freetranslation.mobi/ actually respects Google's terms
of use ?  Being closed source, it is not possible for instance to see if it
accesses the translations through Google's API or if it acts more like a rogue
proxy.  If you want to use freetranslation.mobi regularly, I would recommend to
ask Google for a clarification.

In any case, that you respect freetranslation.mobi's terms of use does not make
you free from Google's terms.  Imagine for instance if one would set up a
website called gpl2bsd.org, which would substitute GPL notices by BSD notices:
users obtaining the relicensed software would not be allowed to keep on
following the BSD license after they are notified that they downloaded an
unauthorized copy.

According to http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/ :

  When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google
  (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce,
  modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations,
  adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with
our
  Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and
  distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the
  limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to
  develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services
  (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some
  Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been
provided
  to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings
  that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services.
  Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any
  content that you submit to our Services.

In the case Google would publish a derivative of a GPLed text uploaded for
translation, even in the "limited purpose of operating, promoting, and
improving [their] Service", the GPL would be violated if the derivative would
not mention its original license in the published material.  I admit that this
is a far-fetched scenario, but that may need to be considered before pasting
GPLed text in Google Translate.

For the resulting translations, however, I think that I agree that there is no
copyright claimed on them, and that they can be freely added to the original
project.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy