On Sun, Aug 06, 2023 at 08:42:21AM -0400, Bill Miller wrote:
> Just like that;
>
> When Apple makes a new OS or IOS I do not need to download anything. I go
> to update, it will ask me if i am sure i want to install a new OS. it warns
> me that all my stuff will be lost if i change my OS [...]

Now try this: start with a computer with Windows on it. Go to update
and try to install an Apple OS. Damn, didn't work, did it? I think
you can't even achieve that with the help of an USB stick, because
Apple forbids you to install their OS on hardware that isn't theirs.

What you are describing works for Debian too: going from an already
installed version of Debian to the next (we call those just "versions"
of the OS, because our marketing department isn't as pretentious as
Apple's). No CDROMs, USB sticks or other external storage media needed.
Just "From The Internet" (TM).

One very nice feature of Debian is that you usually get to keep your
"stuff" after the OS upgrade: for me, it never got lost, and I've made
quite a few of those. So I'll stick to Debian, thankyouverymuch, if
Apple is going to wipe "my stuff" on every upgrade ;-P

Making backups is still a good idea, though.

Cheers