On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 09:05:44AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I became more deeply involved into DPT since 2022 as a consequence of
> the suggestion for transfering several Debian Med/Science packages to
> DPMT[1][2].  I happily followed this suggestion and moved >30 packages
> from the Blends teams to DPT.  I was happy with this move since it makes
> sense.
>
> Recently we received lots of testing removal warnings in those Blends
> teams due to RC bugs caused by Cython 3.0 and Python3.12 migrations.  So
> I did what I usually do in those teams:  I dedicated quite some time in
> team wide bug hunting.  That way I squashed about 50 bugs on packages
> where I was not in Uploaders.  When doing so I usually run
> routine-update on the package which basically streamlines packaging to
> latest standards including calling Janitor tools which are so far
> accepted inside DPT.
>
> I probably should have reviewed the DPT policy on Maintainership[3] more
> carefully. In other teams, it's common for the Maintainer to be set to
> the team, so I assumed it was just an oversight when I made this
> change[4] when touching the package to fix RC bug #1058177.  However, I
> I was pointed immediately about the fact that I was mistaken according
> to the current DPT policy.  I apologize for this.  However, the wording
> of the comment on my commit was discouraging, especially considering I
> was a volunteer who had fixed a critical bug.  Because of this, I
> decided to focus my efforts on fixing other critical bugs for the
> moment.  If the comment had started with a 'Thanks for fixing the
> critical bug, but...' I likely would have corrected my mistake quickly.
> The lack of respect from my teammate simply made me prioritize my time
> on other issues that are more visible to our users.  I wonder whether I
> should propose another change to the policy about maintaining a kind and
> polite language inside the team - but that's a different thing.
>
> While I applied the patch for another RC bug (#1063443) after >2 weeks
> which triggered a RC bug in reportbug I remembered the "keep the
> maintainer" policy.  But I kept on doing Janitor like changes since
> finally the package is maintained in a team where Janitor is accepted.
> When doing so I failed the phrase "please contact the Maintainer for the
> green light."  I apoligize for this again.  The response was another
> volunteer-demotivating private mail (thus no quote) which also was
> lacking the "Thanks for fixing"-phrase and degrading my changes as
> "frivolous".
>
> So far what happened (seen from my possibly biased perspective).
>
> Why do I like to change the policy?
>
> The current wording provides some means to stop volunteer team members
> helping out moving forward to speed up migrations and fix Debian wide
> dependencies.  It hides team maintained packages from a common BTS
> view.  When pointing my browser to
>     https://bugs.debian.org/team+pyt...@tracker.debian.org
> [...]

+1 for this DPT policy change.

When I started to contribute I received these kind of comments that made
me think if I could really start contributing to Debian. As time went
by, I learned to read first who is the maintainer of the package before
read the bug reported, no matter if the package is (apparently) under the
DPT umbrella.

--
cheers,
        Emmanuel Arias

 ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
 ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  eam...@debian.org
 ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀  OpenPGP: 13796755BBC72BB8ABE2AEB5 FA9DEC5DE11C63F1

 ⠈⠳⣄