On 3/3/24 00:37, Christian Kastner wrote:
For
example, I also often skip tests -- it's just that I do it under
conditions that I'm happy to defend (cause isolated, reported upstream,
etc.), but others may not be aware of that.

There are many cases where skipping tests is ok. As you wrote, when reported upstream, and when the thing that's broken is the test itself (but the functionality is not broken).

The best practice is to document somewhere in the package (in d/rules?) why it's been disabled. I have to admit I often don't do that extra documentation work myself though (though mostly on packages I maintain alone, for OpenStack for example).

Unfortunately, when dealing with a large amount of packages, at some point, one may be tired and skip some of the documentation/reporting upstream work, because there's so much to do... I have to admit that sometimes, I just do the quick fix by myself in debian/ptaches, and don't have enough energy to report or fix upstream, thinking that upstream will hit the (python 3.x for example) bug themselves, and fix anyways. :/

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)