Hi Andreas (2024.02.27_08:05:44_+0000)
> I did what I usually do in those teams:  I dedicated quite some time in
> team wide bug hunting.  That way I squashed about 50 bugs on packages
> where I was not in Uploaders.

Thank you for doing this work. I've come across a number of DPT bugs
where you've been leading the charge on Python 3.12 support (and related
things, like Cython 3).

I'd like the Python Team to be a team that fosters this kind of
collaboration. Being supported, rather than demotivated by the response
you get from the team is important.

We've been talking about changing the maintainership rules for years,
for all the reasons you raise. They are unexpected and hurt new (and
old) contributors.

What other people are hinting at is that there are one or two package
maintainers in the team who feel strongly about needing this level of
control for their packages. The team only gets to have their packages in
the git repo, in exchange for allowing them this control. We'd probably
lose their packages if we change the rule.

How bad would that be? Now that everyone uses git, probably not so bad.
Back in the day, if the package wasn't in our svn it probably wasn't in
VCS at all.

So, +1 from me.

Stefano

--