Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> writes:

> Merciadri Luca put forth on 10/10/2009 2:40 PM:
>> Merciadri Luca <luca.mercia...@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>>
>> I receive the same answer with
>> #smbclient -L //192.168.0.1
>>
>> The problem with non-noname devices is that their internal config is
>> often misunderstood, or simply unknown...
>
> Would you please backup to the very beginning and tell us what you're
> trying to accomplish?
For sure.
>  Here's what I'm reading:
>
> You're trying to hook up a USB HDD correct?
Yes, with my router.
>  Most laptops and desktops
> have a gazillion USB ports on them these days.  Why are you hell bent on
> connecting the HDD to the el cheapo DLink router instead of directly to
> your Debian PC?  ESPECIALLY given the fact that DLink obviously doesn't
> offer Linux support for your particular router.
For many different reasons, the principal one being that I use lots of
computers, and I need to access to this HDD with each
computer without having to make sync's.

So, to backup to the very beginning: I need to use a HDD on different
computers. To make this easy with the different OSes and other config
problems, it would be a nice alternative to share it on my network. To
achieve this, I need to connect it to my router, as I cannot have another
dedicated server for practical reasons.

I discovered then the D-Link's SharePort utility. It was nice, as my
router is a D-Link DIR-635. I thought you knew some things about
SharePort. As it seems not to be the case, just have a look at, for
example:
http://www.techfresh.net/d-link-shareport-technology/
It is still not raw information as I want it to be (specs., etc.), but
the only pieces of info I can find about SharePort are general ones.

So, I do not know how I could manage to connect my PCs to my D-Link's
USB port. I have plugged a HDD drive into it, and it should
work. However, it does not work under Debian Lenny. I tried various
things with smbclient, but the connexion is always qualified as
`REFUSED.'' I do not know why, because it also happens when I supply a
password and an username (even though they are correct). I do not
actually even know if I can use smbclient with it, as it can use
another implementation than CIFS.

Is there a solution about this? Hope I was clear.
- --
Merciadri Luca