On 2023-05-01 at 21:51, Maureen L Thomas wrote:

> Unfortunately I cannot install anything.  I used the command line and
> the app but neither of them will work.

I suspect that if you don't have the various directories under /var/,
you may not be able to use apt or aptitude or synaptic or the like, but
dpkg (in the form of 'dpkg -i /path/to/filename.deb') may still work.

If it doesn't, the only fallbacks that I can think of that would be
*more* likely to work - short of reinstalling Debian, anyway - involve
carefully extracting the .deb's contents into the correct root path, and
running any necessary follow-on scripts, *by hand*. And that would be
daunting even to me, though I understand that it's certainly possible.

> I have no idea what to do next. I used su and sudo first.  It just
> keeps saying it cannot connect with the base from which I get
> updates, etc.  I used the reinstall on brasero and it just said that
> it was up to date.  I am so confused.

This description seems to suggest that you're using a tool which is
trying to download the .deb file from a remote location. Those tools are
fairly likely to have problems if the directories under /var/ don't
exist.

Instead, I suggest that you try:

$ su -
# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_12_amd64.deb

(Or whatever the version number and architecture of your base-files
package may be; that's the oldest one I have on hand myself, from August
of 2021. You should probably be able to tab-complete the filename from
before the first underscore, but that depends on how your system is set
up.)

dpkg should, I think, have fewer dependencies on directory structure (et
cetera) than anything APT-based will have. It still might not be few
*enough*, but it's worth a shot.

--
   The Wanderer