On 17/09/2023 11:39, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/17/23 05:35, Phil Wyett wrote:
On Sat, 2023-09-16 at 17:06 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/16/23 14:55, Phil Wyett wrote:
On Sat, 2023-09-16 at 08:17 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

gkrellm has traditionally used mbmon to collect the motherboard
data
for
temps and voltages that it can display. Bub mbmon won't run
because
it
can't find the monitor util for this mid-range asus mobo.
Complains
because it cannot find a via-686 thing, which sounds a bit dated
me.

I just spent around 3 hours with synaptic looking for likely
suspects
w/o any hits.

Asus z-370 mobo, i5 flavor full 32G memory

Any suggestions??

Thanks all;

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Hi,

Would more up to date packages like 'lm-sensors' and/or 'dmidecode'
possible give you the data you are looking for? Any additional
information on the data you require and how it would be used would
be
advantageous.

Regards

Phil

Both of those are the newest versions according to apt.
Thanks Phll

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Hi,

gkrellm does not depend on mbmon currently. mbmom should not be part of
a current conversation regarding use of gkrellm as I see it.

What data are you wanting from the motherboard and what have you tried
thus far?

Notes:

gkrellm depends on gtk2 and should be avoided IMHO.

Both gkrellm and especially mbmon are very dated and IMHO should not be
used with newer hardware as they likely do not fit requirements.

Regards

Phil

No doubt true, but I've not found anything else you can park along the edge of the screen on every workspace so you've a constantly visible machine status. And I've not found anything that can report psu etc voltages, or fan speeds from those that have tach's since buster.  Temps and other stuff still work though.  I find it handier than the lock button on the outhouse door at a family picnic. If Bill wilson has dropped it, what are folks using now?

In the world of i3 window managers (i3, i3gaps, sway etc), there is a convention to have a "bar" along the top or bottom edge of the screen. i3 is a tiling window manager so it's not usual to have a taskbar, but it's still useful to have somewhere to put "widgets" such as the system tray and the "bar" fulfils this function. There is a "bar" protocol allowing several programs to exist which handle the actual rendering of the bar, plus nearly all of these bars use an accompanying "status" program to provide the actual content. The "status" program (i3status, py3status, conky etc) handles all the hard work of querying sensors, finding free space etc and presents it in a text form to the bar.

The upshot of this is that the "bar" and "status" programs can, with a bit of tinkering, present live statistics of just about any part of your system (personally, my bar consists of: the weather, disk space, memory usage, CPU usage, CPU temperature, network throughput, battery level, headphone battery level, sound system volume, backlight level, date and time).

You don't need to switch to a tiling window manager to use a bar, though. https://github.com/polybar/polybar/wiki claims to work quite nicely with window mangers such as GNOME or KDE's.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.