On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 05:22:18PM +0530, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> My dear Illustrious Leaders and Senior Members of the debian-user Mailing
> List,
>
> I would again return to my earlier post at:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/10/msg00650.html
>
> That is, the First Mail of this thread with the present Subject.

Hello Rajib,

Please can you reduce the size of your subject line. You can make it
much shorter and still informative.

> I desire a Debian approved list for perfectly compatible
> Wireless-Bluetooth Cards. Like the PCI list, with the heading:
> DeviceDatabase/PCI - Debian Wiki
> at
> https://wiki.debian.org/DeviceDatabase/PCI

There is no definitive list for "perfectly compatible" cards, unfortunately.
There is a list of cards that people have found to work but, as noted, HP
maintain an allowlist/denylist of cards that *they* approve.

> Why do I need to return to this thread? Because, unlike what Mr. Cater
> advised, in his post:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/10/msg00679.html
>
> the "firmware-b43-installer" isn't suitable for the card that my laptop has:
>
> "Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43142
> 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)" card,
>
> as the webpage https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/b43#contact
> for the "firmware-b43-installer"  mentions. The relevant portions of
> the said webpage may please be perused. On the webpage the list with
> the following columns has the following entries for the said chipset:
> PCI-ID Supported? Chip ID Modes PHY version Alternative
> 14e4:4365 no BCM43142 b/g/n LCN40 (r3) wl
>
> That is, the said card of my laptop isn't supported by the
> "firmware-b43-installer". I have already posted a reply to Mr. Cater
> with the said information at:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/10/msg00846.html

Thanks for this. Again, a request - please *don't* address replies
primarily to individuals - please address them to the list because
the list will archive the relevant information.

> I am still hoping, despite what Mr.Purgert suggests in his post:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/10/msg00654.html, that I
> will be able to find a Debian-approved wireless networking card and
> that my HP laptop BIOS would allow it to be used instead of the native
> wireless card.

Note that you have been given the solution using module-assistant by
someone else on the list.

> If every effort fails, I will try to procure a Frame.work customisable
> laptop for my use.

That will be a very expensive workaround and you may face delays: I think
they have a backlog on orders. You may find also that people have had
varying experiences with their Framework - there's a very long post on
Debian Planet somewhere with a whole list of plusses and minuses.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy