Nicolas George composed on 2024-01-24 15:39 (UTC+0100):

> Charles Curley (12024-01-24):

>> Although I found it simpler (and faster) to have all my system stuff on
>> an SSD, and the RAID on four HDDs. Grub goes on the SSD and that's that.

> If the SSD dies, your system does not boot. Somewhat wasting the benefit
> of RAID.

Technically, quite true. However, OS and user data are very different. User data
recreation and/or restoration can be as painful as impossible, justifying RAID.
OS
can be reinstalled rather easily in a nominal amount of time. A 120G SSD can
hold
multiple OS installations quite easily. A spare 120G SSD costs less than a
petrol
fillup. I stopped putting OS on RAID when I got my first SSD. My current primary
PC has 5 18G OS installations, all bootable much more quickly than finding a
suitable USB stick to rescue boot from.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata