On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 09:47:35PM +0100, hw wrote:
> On Mon, 2024-01-29 at 18:41 +0100, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 05:52:38PM +0100, hw wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Ok in that case, hardware RAID is a requirement for machines with UEFI
> > > BIOS since otherwise their reliability is insufficient.
> >
> > The price you pay for hardware RAID is that you need a compatible controller
> > if you take your disks elsewhere (e.g. because your controller dies).
>
> How often do you take the system disks from one machine to another,
> and how often will the RAID controller fail?
>
> > With (Linux) software RAID you just need another Linux...
>
> How's that supposed to help?  The machine still won't boot if the disk
> with the UEFI partition has failed.

We are talking about getting out of a catastrophic event. In such cases,
booting is the smallest of problems: use your favourite rescue medium
with a kernel which understands your RAID (and possibly other details
of your storage setup, file systems, LUKS, whatever).

[...]

> Maybe the problem needs to be fixed in all the UEFI BIOSs.  I don't
> think it'll happen, though.

This still makes sense if you want a hands-off recovery (think data
centre far away). Still you won't recover from a broken motherboard.

Cheers