On Mon, 2024-01-29 at 18:41 +0100, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 05:52:38PM +0100, hw wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Ok in that case, hardware RAID is a requirement for machines with UEFI
> > BIOS since otherwise their reliability is insufficient.
>
> The price you pay for hardware RAID is that you need a compatible controller
> if you take your disks elsewhere (e.g. because your controller dies).

How often do you take the system disks from one machine to another,
and how often will the RAID controller fail?

> With (Linux) software RAID you just need another Linux...

How's that supposed to help?  The machine still won't boot if the disk
with the UEFI partition has failed.  Look at Linux installers, like
the Debian installer or the Fedora installer.  Last time I used
either, none of them would automatically create or at least require
redundant UEFI partitions --- at least for instances when software
RAID is used --- to make it possible to boot when a disk has failed.
It's a very bad oversight.

Maybe the problem needs to be fixed in all the UEFI BIOSs.  I don't
think it'll happen, though.