On Fri 26 Jan 2024 at 07:25:13 (-0500), Dan Ritter wrote:
> Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 07:32:38PM -0500, Thomas George wrote:
> > > The current PSI works perfectly but I don't like the pale green prompt.
> > >
> > > Tried editing .bashrd , /ext/fprofile and /ext/bash.bashrc but no changes
> > > the PSI definition had any effect
> >
> > You appear to be asking about the shell prompt.
> >
> > In bash, the shell prompt is defined in the PS1 variable, which stands
> > for "Prompt String One (1)".  The last character is the numeral 1, not
> > the capital letter I.
>
> Might be time for a new font. I like Inconsolata, but l1I!
> should never look similar, nor O0@ or S$.

I'll give a shout-out for Hack,¹ which I can't fault for use in
xterms. Comparing    xterm -geometry 80x25+0+0 -fa hack -fs 16
with   xterm -geometry 80x25+0+0 -fa inconsolata -fs 18
(to make the sizes roughly the same), I find the inconsolata
stroke width on the basic Roman alphabet is a little spindly.

Other criticisms are that the stroke widths (and even the size)
later in the table (eg 0x256–1312) are thicker or larger, and
many single-width characters are slightly oversize and get
truncated at the top & right (eg Ŵ at 0x372, Lj 456). Mixing
fractions is ugly, too: ½ ⅓ ⅔ ¼ ¾ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞. The ‘’ quotes
are pretty, though.

Of course, these criticisms only apply to the implementation from
fonts-inconsolata, rendered on xterms, as compared with fonts-hack.
I don't know whether they arise because the font is a work in
progress, and the implementation hasn't yet caught up: eg, the
capitals with diacriticals look fine in the sample off the web at:
  https://levien.com/type/myfonts/textest.pdf

¹ I first saw Hack mentioned by Gene in May 2016, thanks.

Cheers,
David.