On 29/01/24 at 16:32, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 03:54:44PM +0100, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 03:29:57PM +0100, Franco Martelli wrote:
Those symbols are very nice, which tool have you used to insert them?

Easy. I configured my CAPSLOCK key (which is useless IMO) to be
my X compose key. So entering COMPOSE-4-5 does ⅘, and COMPOSE-<-3
does ♥. You can even define your own compose seqs, like I did with
♀ (COMPOSE-o-+) and others.

This is documented at <https://wiki.debian.org/XCompose> by the way.

Thanks Greg, that was what I'm looking for. I chose the right Alt key as "compose" key, in KDE it was very simple it's a checkbox to enable in systemsettings, as explained in the link that you provided. I read that for custom sequence I've to create a ~/.XCompose file, but where can I find the character to map i.e. Greek letters: "α" "β" "γ" ?

In "/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose" file the ALPHA char is defined as:

<dead_greek> <a> : "α" U03B1 # GREEK SMALL LETTER ALPHA

What stands for <dead_greek> ? Could I have an example of custom ~/.XCompose file for this letter, please?

Thanks in advance, best regards.
--
Franco Martelli