On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 03:29:57PM +0100, Franco Martelli wrote:
> On 26/01/24 at 20:50, David Wright wrote:
> > I'll give a shout-out for Hack,¹ which I can't fault for use in
> > xterms. Comparing    xterm -geometry 80x25+0+0 -fa hack -fs 16
> > with   xterm -geometry 80x25+0+0 -fa inconsolata -fs 18
> > (to make the sizes roughly the same), I find the inconsolata
> > stroke width on the basic Roman alphabet is a little spindly.
> >
> > Other criticisms are that the stroke widths (and even the size)
> > later in the table (eg 0x256–1312) are thicker or larger, and
> > many single-width characters are slightly oversize and get
> > truncated at the top & right (eg Ŵ at 0x372, Lj 456). Mixing
> > fractions is ugly, too: ½ ⅓ ⅔ ¼ ¾ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞. The ‘’ quotes
> > are pretty, though.
>
> Those symbols are very nice, which tool have you used to insert them? I'm
> using Thunderbird for my emails but I've to enable "Compose message in HTML"
> to have a small subset of symbols, for me isn't enough. I'm using KDE
> desktop.

Easy. I configured my CAPSLOCK key (which is useless IMO) to be
my X compose key. So entering COMPOSE-4-5 does ⅘, and COMPOSE-<-3
does ♥. You can even define your own compose seqs, like I did with
♀ (COMPOSE-o-+) and others.

The nice part is that it works for /all/ X11 applications, even
in a plain old xterm (I'm writing this mail in vim in an xterm).

Cheers