On 29 Jan 2024 19:54 -0800, from cgi...@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs):
> Today I took a thorough backup of my laptop and dove in, using the
> instructions at https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUpgrade as a guide.

Did you actually follow _that_ page, or did you read and follow the
_release notes_ as it says near the top of that page?

As a rule the release notes for a release should be considered the
authoritative truth about upgrading to any given release from the
immediately preceding release. (Skipping releases is not supported and
strongly discouraged.) There are also meaningful differences in system
setup between 11 and 12, not least non-free-firmware (which, were it
just that, would be easy enough to add after the fact).

A plain Debian release upgrade should not switch your desktop
environment on its own, and last I looked Xfce wasn't yet compatible
with Wayland, so although I haven't looked in detail, it seems likely
that your issues are related to something which you did or did not do
during the upgrade process.

Do you have a "script" transcript of the upgrade session (as the
release notes also strongly recommend [1] in case there are problems)?

 [1]:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#record-session

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”