Charlie Gibbs <cgi...@surfnaked.ca> writes:

> I followed the update steps exactly, accepting all defaults.

If that were true, and you followed the steps in *the release notes* you
could for example compare what packages you had before and after. But I
guess you mean you followed the extremely minimal steps in the wiki?

> Well, there was one thing: since I was already at a root
> prompt after doing my backup, I just typed "apt-get <whatever>"
> rather than prefixing the commands with "sudo".  Could this
> cause such a drastic change?

I guess it's just one of those things nobody wants to cover in a minimal
wiki page. You can't say "if you're root, then don't need to type sudo"
because that leads to confusion about root. Based on some dev's
complaint that people don't understand "be root".

> I don't understand it - when I upgraded my main machine,
> everything went smooth as butter, and my desktop and all
> applications were left exactly as is.  But on my laptop,
> the only thing that appears intact is the contents of /home.
> Can anyone suggest what happened and how to fix it?

Did anything actually happen, other than you logged in to a Gnome
Wayland session instead of an XFCE X11 session? Or if you login
automatically, maybe the default changed? So log out, select a session
you prefer and log in again?