Hellow David,

On Mon, 2024-01-29 at 23:49 -0600, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 30 Jan 2024 at 10:13:34 (+0900), Byunghee HWANG (황병희) wrote:
> > On Mon, 2024-01-29 at 09:35 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> > > AIUI there are several network configuration tools that defer to
> > > configurations that are set up in /e/n/i, which would be handled
> > > by ifupdown preferentially. Generally, removing /e/n/i
> > > completely,
> > > as you have, is fine. One side effect is that any entries in
> > > /e/n/interfaces.d/ will also be disabled.
> > >
> > > The only machine on which I keep /e/n/i and ifupdown is my
> > > travelling
> > > laptop, for tethering with my phone:
> > >
> > >   allow-hotplug usb0
> > >
> > >   iface usb0 inet dhcp
> > >
> > > BTW I don't know why you're running sid, but it's generally
> > > expected
> > > that sid users would be familiar with stuff like this,
> > > particularly
> > > as your question is already answered in the reference.
> >
> > In frankly, i don't know interface things and network tools.
> > Whenever I
> > use the default value, just as it is. So still i don't understand
> > your
> > reply message in technically.
>
> You have Gnome installed, which implies you configure the network
> with
> something like NetworkManager.
>
> You /had/ a file called /etc/network/interfaces, which implied you
> were
> configuring the network with ifupdown.
>
> If you try to configure the same /interface/ (which could be called
> something like eth0) with both NetworkManager and ifupdown, then
> NetworkManager should back off and let ifupdown do the configuring.
>
> I can't tell you whether that makes Gnome display a question mark,
> but
> others might know. (I don't use Gnome, NetworkManager, or ifupdown.)

You see here:
https://gitlab.com/soyeomul/stuff/-/commit/6796b4fcd3fb3b0e5228b20ecd3209d7d1de0af4
I reproduced the odd screenshot -- question mark. I restored the file
/e/n/i as you know.

> When you renamed the file to /etc/network/interfaces.orig, then
> ifupdown can no longer read it, nor take priority over
> NetworkManager,
> and NetworkManager should be happy to configure the interface itself.
> The question mark should go away. (Do you get a happy face displayed
> instead, or is NetworkManager more boring than that?)
>
> I would tend to think that:
>
> . The debian-installer installs ifupdown by default when you don't
>   install a Desktop Manager like Gnome,
>
> . The debian-installer installs NetworkManager by default if you do
>   install a Desktop Manager like Gnome,
>
> . It shouldn't do both.
>
> But, if you upgrade an ifupdown-system and add NetworkManager in
> whatever way, then it's up to you to remove/hide any ifupdown
> configuration that you want NetworkManager to perform. That's
> probably what you did by renaming the file.

Thank you for your kind and detailed analysis, David! I will refer to
your analysis the next time i encounter a similar difficulty.

Sincerely, Byunghee

--
^고맙습니다 _布德天下_ 감사합니다_^))//