On Fri 02 Feb 2024 at 01:18:51 (+0900), Byunghee HWANG (황병희) wrote:
> On Wed, 2024-01-31 at 22:12 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> > > My experience, admittedly from a few releases ago, is that ifupdown is
> > > always installed but that the installer doesn't populate it's config
> > > files with the found network interfaces, only the loopback interface.
> >
> > AIUI that would be normal behaviour when the DE installs its own
> > choice of package to handle the network.
> >
> > But it's also what happens when you install over wifi and don't
> > select a DE: the wifi configuration is removed as the last step
> > in the installation process. It's a (mis)feature/bug that's been
> > discussed for years.
> >
> > > I also have a more vague memory that you could put config into
> > > /etc/network/interfaces then in some circumstance NetworkManager would
> > > not try and manage that interface, and in others it would take over.
> > > (Perhaps selected by allow hotplug option in the ifupdown config?)
> >
> > That seems unlikely. Perhaps you're thinking of NM's ifupdown plugin
> > that allows you to use the configuration in /e/n/i. I'm assuming the
> > OP has not installed that in their sleep. Max's request for printing
> > the configuration could confirm that.
>
> For now it works all. And still i'm on Debian Sid. Just i attach some
> results from Max's request:

[ … ]

> soyeomul@thinkpad-e495:/etc/network$ apt list '~i~nnetwork-manager'
> Listing... Done

That doesn't reveal whether ifupdown is installed.

[ … ]

> soyeomul@thinkpad-e495:/etc/network$ /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --print-config
> # NetworkManager configuration: /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[ … ]
> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
[ … ]
> [ifupdown]
> managed=false

so this applies:

 "managed

 "If set to false, then any interface listed in
  /etc/network/interfaces will be ignored by NetworkManager.
  Remember that NetworkManager controls the default route,
  so because the interface is ignored, NetworkManager may
  assign the default route to some other interface."

[ … ]

> soyeomul@thinkpad-e495:/etc/network$ ls -l
> [ … ]
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  433 Oct  4 17:23 interfaces.orig

We need to see the contents of that file (with any passwords
redacted). Its size looks large enough to contain loopback,
ethernet and wireless interface configurations. This could
mean that ifupdown was giving you your connectivity when NM
was displaying a question mark.

Cheers,
David.