On Tue 30 Jan 2024 at 07:05:55 (+0000), Tixy wrote:
> On Mon, 2024-01-29 at 23:49 -0600, David Wright wrote:
> > I would tend to think that:
> >
> > . The debian-installer installs ifupdown by default when you don't
> >   install a Desktop Manager like Gnome,
> >
> > . The debian-installer installs NetworkManager by default if you do
> >   install a Desktop Manager like Gnome,
> >
> > . It shouldn't do both.
> >

> My experience, admittedly from a few releases ago, is that ifupdown is
> always installed but that the installer doesn't populate it's config
> files with the found network interfaces, only the loopback interface.

AIUI that would be normal behaviour when the DE installs its own
choice of package to handle the network.

But it's also what happens when you install over wifi and don't
select a DE: the wifi configuration is removed as the last step
in the installation process. It's a (mis)feature/bug that's been
discussed for years.

> I also have a more vague memory that you could put config into
> /etc/network/interfaces then in some circumstance NetworkManager would
> not try and manage that interface, and in others it would take over.
> (Perhaps selected by allow hotplug option in the ifupdown config?)

That seems unlikely. Perhaps you're thinking of NM's ifupdown plugin
that allows you to use the configuration in /e/n/i. I'm assuming the
OP has not installed that in their sleep. Max's request for printing
the configuration could confirm that.

Cheers,
David.