On Fri 02 Feb 2024 at 07:37:34 (+0000), Tixy wrote:
> On Wed, 2024-01-31 at 22:12 -0600, David Wright wrote:
> > > I also have a more vague memory that you could put config into
> > > /etc/network/interfaces then in some circumstance NetworkManager
> > > would
> > > not try and manage that interface, and in others it would take
> > > over.
> > > (Perhaps selected by allow hotplug option in the ifupdown config?)
> >
> > That seems unlikely. Perhaps you're thinking of NM's ifupdown plugin
> > that allows you to use the configuration in /e/n/i. I'm assuming the
> > OP has not installed that in their sleep.
>
> They wouldn't need to because it looks like it's shipped with the main
> network-manage package which contains various files with 'plugin' in
> their name, including libnm-settings-plugin-ifupdown.so.

What I said was unlikely is that an option in ifupdown's configuration,
/e/n/i, would control NM's behaviour. It's the mere mention of the
interface there, as in   iface enp5s0 inet dhcp   that makes ifupdown
control it, and makes NM back off, AIUI.

> As we've seen from the OPs latest reply, the plugin is configured to
> not manage interfaces.

Right, and so the default NM configuration (ifupdown plugin present,
news to me) and   [ifupdown] // managed=false   in the .conf file,
means that NM should not, by default, configure any interface
mentioned in /e/n/i. In the OP's case, the original /e/n/i:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  433 Oct  4 17:23 interfaces.orig
is big enough to hold a typical lo+eth+wlan configuration, which
we haven't seen yet.

Cheers,
David.