On Thu 22 Feb 2024 at 13:49:54 (-0300), Marcelo Laia wrote:

> Inspiron 5547 01 OCT. 2014
>
> Some hardware details:
>
> - BIOS:
>   - Vendor: Dell Inc.
>   - Version: A13
>   - Date: 05/27/2019
> - CPU:
>   - Product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz
> - Memory:
>   - Size: 16GB

[ … ]

> After unplugging the power cable, i.e., the battery is discharging:
>
> After a few seconds, the screen brightness is set to zero. The mouse
> remains active, and I can use it for a few more seconds, when it
> also becomes disabled. From then on, only the touchpad and internal
> keyboard are functional.

[ … ]

> Any other suggestions? It seems to me that it's not related to
> power, however, what is the specific list for energy-related issues?

My advice would be to prepare for a day when you see nothing from
the moment you switch it on.

Here's a log of what happened with my Dell D430 laptop, purchased in
2008 as a stop-gap, acquired by me in 2009. First the battery packs:

  2014-02-12 Large battery started to go bad. Charging light started
  constantly flashing a pattern: four yellows and a longer
  green. Apart from that, everything works ok: the battery stays at
  five lights, and the acpi variables all show sensible
  values. However, the battery discharges much more quickly than it
  should, particularly early on, so some cells probably don't work
  properly.

  2015-03-29 Started to switch itself off when the power cable was
  disconnected. It appears that the battery is not actually connected
  to the computer when this happens.

  2015-03-31 The large battery finally gave up. When the charge button
  is pressed, only LEDS 1, 3 and 5 light up, but flashing. Otherwise,
  dead. Disposed of the large battery in Best Buy's foyer and started
  using the small one.

And the screen:

  2011-10-21 Started to switch itself off unaccountably every so
  often. No freeze, no kernel panic, but just like holding down the
  power switch. It will have been running a while, and usually it
  happens when the machine or lid is moved.

  2017-01-22 After a day or two of slight flickering in brightness,
  the screen blanked out a few times during the day. The machine was
  still running, and so X could be quit and restarted, and rebooted
  too. The screen would come back, but often disappear almost
  immediately, even while the Dell splash screen was being displayed
  at switch-on. It went away entirely the same day.

  2018-06-19 After being depowered for a week, the battery capacity
  had fallen to 2%. However, on AC the screen started working again,
  though it just flickered a little all the time. Took the opportunity
  to demote Internal HDD to below USB and Optical Drive in the BIOS.
  Got about three minutes before it reverted.

  2020-04-16 Started to crash, and eventually failed to boot.
  Obviously difficult to diagnose when there's no display at power-on,
  so scrapped.

If you're wondering why I kept it so long, I could use an external
monitor to display its X server screen, but neither the BIOS nor
the console would work that way, so I had to type blind until I got
into X. With a 30 second countdown, I could operate the Grub screen
blind. I also managed to install buster in text mode by copying what
I typed while installing on another PC at the same time. (I might
have been able to clone jessie into the other partition, but that
would have then required two dist-upgrades.)

Cheers,
David.