Sandy,

I recall checking this out once before when it was mentioned, probably by you. Somehow I figured that you would probably be the one that would know :)

I do see the piece about ActiveDirectory integration. I'm not an AD expert by any means, and I'm wondering if it's plausible to create a database of sorts within AD that isn't the equivalent of your accounts. This would be a great place to store such information if possible. I could then create an application that essentially dumped the IMail users to a file, and users from a separate database for gatewayed domains, and then imported it into AD for use with something like this.

Also, now that it's clear that MS SMTP can be used for envelope rejection, I'm wondering how easy it would be to write an application that pulled this information from any number of sources (IMail's LDAP for instance). I've got a programmer buddy that I'm sure could handle this if I gave him the right pointers. It's not that ORF is expensive, it's quite cheap, but I'm really only looking for envelope rejection of bad accounts and also potentially for dictionary attacks through some mechanism designed to detect them. Any idea about what is used to tap into the MS SMTP service to make these extensions?

Right now I have no legitimate need for this due to my traffic, however my business is growing and I would like to stay ahead of the game and make plans for the future. Envelope rejection for gatewayed domains would be a big bandwidth and processor saver, and it doesn't look like IMail is headed in the direction of providing such a tool beyond their own accounts.

Thanks,

Matt

Sanford Whiteman wrote:

LDAP routing cannot be used for (and isn't designed for) that purpose.

If you're looking to integrate MS SMTP with your userbase, the best bet is ORF from Vamsoft, which offers AD-integrated envelope rejection.

--Sandy

--
------------------------------------ Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist Broadleaf Systems, a division of Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------------