Andy,

This is good stuff.  I think it's what is needed.

My programming buddy is on perma-contract for the AP and manages/programs many of their Internet related projects.  It's impossible to stump him with a task like this.  He provides me with a lot of friendly assistance, though for a project like this, he would probably want to see this become a product.  That's not to suggest that anyone else should be discouraged from doing something like this themselves.

My guess is that he could have something working for address validation very quickly, however it would take longer to create a dictionary attack stopper.  The bigger question is how large the potential market is for such a thing.  It could be very large if IMail would allow specified IP's to be used on port 25 by other applications, but it would seem limited to just backup MX servers if done under the current environment.  Note that if this became a product, it would cost less as a product than funding the development.

So two immediate questions come to mind.

1) How many people would like to run MS SMTP as a backup MX with sender verification and dictionary attack detection?
2) Who would be interested in a user movement to compel Ipswitch to prevent IMail from bonding to every last IP?  This way it could also be used on the primary server and not get in the way of hosted E-mail.

Matt

Andy Schmidt wrote:
Matt,

IIS SMTP supports "event sinks" at various stages of the protocol. VAMsoft
uses them to check the IP address upon connection, or to check the email
addresses in MAIL FROM / RCPT TO the moment they occur.

So - yes, it appears entirely feasible to write an event sink that will
compare the RCPT TO against ANY user base (AD, LDAP, SQL Queries, plain-text
files,...)  See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url="">
l/writingmngsinks.asp?frame=true#writingmngsinks_topic2

I have offloaded all my outbound SMTP (and authorized SMTP relaying) to one
of my IIS SMTP machines - and it also acts as my backup MX.  ORF has been a
godsend to ward off unwanted emails by spammers who try to send to the
Backup MX (so they don't have to be processed by Declude/Imail).

I would seriously consider funding some of the development for an IMAIL/LDAP
lookup event sink as it would help my SMTP server to "disconnect" on
dictionary attacks.

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

H&M Systems Software, Inc.