David -

At times like this its OK to sigh these emails: David "your pinata" Barker
     :)

-Nick

From: "David Barker" <dbar...@declude.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:14 PM
To: declude.virus@declude.com
Subject: RE: [Declude.Virus] Declude Virus inoperable for 13% of th year?

Nice. Thank you
for your feedback Markus.

>>MANY if
not most of all Declude users has initially chosen "the Swiss army
knife" as their tool who they can customize, enhance and integrate in
their FULLY email filter system.

This is true
from the past and for many older Declude customers, but the market has changed
over the years - there are not enough people looking for "the Swiss army
knife" approach anymore. With managed services, hardware appliances etc.
anti-spam
and AV is a cost center for most ISP's and they would rather not have to
deal with it at all. IMail themselves started losing market share for the same
reasons which had a direct impact on the Declude business. So what "was"
is no more.

>>evolution
and new functionality in order to be able to stay ahead or at least near on top
of the market leaders.

Agreed, but also take into account the changing Mail systems, we support both
IMail
and Smartermail, specifically supporting Smartermail as they were growing while
IMail was shrinking. Every time a new release of IMail or Smartermail comes out
something inevitably changes meaning we have to deal with the MUST do's
rather than innovation. Again to combat this we just need additional developer/s
so that we can dedicate one to maintenance and the other/s to innovation. To do
this we need $ and that cost will always be carried over to you the customer,
which I have done my utmost best to avoid.

>> noted
the active community who has definitively helped to let Declude become what it
is/was isn't there anymore.

Yes that
community was (and what is left) is extremely helpful and useful.

>>All
this isn't there anymore. Why? Because people who was ready to contribute
hasn't received back what they want and need: If such people has asked
for a new feature even if it was a little piece of thing the maximum to >>
hear was that it will be placed on a long list of planned to-do's.

Depending on when this was and who was making the Declude decisions at the
time. But if I should speak for myself. I realize I can't make everyone
happy its part of my job. Here is a case in point, let's use this
scenario.

1.       AVG fails

2.        IMail release version 11 which is incompatible
with Declude

If I choose to
fix AVG first  - IMail users scream

If I
choose to fix IMail first - All users scream

So in this
instance best decision is to let IMail users complain. Either way Declude in
one group of people is going to be the company that is "not doing enough"
for its customers. This is not really true but rather the perception.

>>In the
case you hasn't discovered it yet, from the begin of April on there was a
big increase of spam activity

This
information is very useful and this is why the lists exist if we can share
information we have a community that benefits.

>>If there
would be really someone taking technical care of this product he has should put
more then on eye in the past 2 months in order to keep this product at least
near to other spam filtering products. The cow was milked and milked and milked
and does urgently need now some fresh grass, water and  maybe also a new
clean stable.

The only thing
that would change this current situation is revenues which means price increase.
(Maybe it is time?)

David